Over time, the details of a recurring event may change. Users may want to update the business purpose, time, frequency, event type, account or contacts associated to an event. This article describes how to edit a recurring series.
Note: Editing an event series will only impact events that have not yet occurred. Any events in the past will not be updated. As an example, if an event was scheduled at 8:00 AM, and a user is editing the series at 10:00 AM, the past event from that morning will not be edited, regardless of whether that occurrence was marked as complete or not. Any historical event (any events with a start time prior to the time at which the series is being edited) will need to be edited as a single event, rather than being able to be edited as part of the series.
Editing an Event Series
There are two ways to edit an event series:
- Right-click on an event on the calendar, and select Edit Series on the contextual menu that pops up
- Click on the event to view the event details, then click one of the two Edit Series buttons
Once in the Edit Event screen, users can update any of the fields of the event series. The following three fields should be updated to properly reflect the event that will take place:
- Event Type: The Cold Call event type is often selected because a user wanted to save an event, but couldn't save a Meeting event type since an account and contact were not added. Users should choose the correct event type, to display how they are connecting with their accounts and contacts. This can also show which types of events may have a better result in terms of generating referrals, rather than using a single event type for all events. There may be cold calls from time to time, but the bulk of visits and calls are regular calls with known accounts and contacts.
- Account: As discussed above, adding the account not only adds the events and historical notes to the account, but it also will show activity on the account in reports.
Clicking in the text field or on the magnifying glass will bring up a pop-up window that allows users to search for and select an account to add to the event.
Once an account has been selected (by clicking the Select link in the Actions column of the account picker window), another pop-up will allow the association of any contacts related to that account.
- Contacts: If contacts were not added after selecting an account, contacts can be added by clicking the Invite Contact or Invite X Related Contacts (where X is the number of contacts related to the account) button. The Invite Contact button will bring up a contact picker pop-up window (like the account picker window shown above), while the Invite X Related Contacts will invite all contacts that are related to the account. At least one contact is required to save the event, and adding the contact will also add the call/visit notes to the contact's record.
Once all of the relevant details of the event have been updated, saving the series will update all future occurrences of this event.
Finding events that need more details
There are two quick ways to see which events may need Accounts and Contacts associated to them:
- When a user first logs into PlayMaker on the web, the Events section of the Overview page has a column that shows if an upcoming event has an associated account and contacts. Users can click Edit next to the event to quickly access the event and update the account and contacts.
- Note that this area is limited by a set time period (the next seven days) which can be changed by selected different start and end dates above the list of events.
- Run the Daily Visit Report. This report is found on the Reporting page, and will show events for Today by default. The Account column of this report will show whether or not an event is associated to an account.
- The Date Range dropdown can be changed to select a set period of time (Within a Range), or one of the default time periods.