Expenses can be entered into PlayMaker to track expenditures either 1) by user or 2) by account.
There are three ways to start the process of entering an expense
- From Dashboard (Recommended): The fastest way to create an expense is to create one on the Dashboard from the event that the expense should be associated to. When on the Dashboard, scroll down to the Events section. The last column on the table of events provides a link to create an expense from that event.
- This method is the suggested method for creating expenses as it completes a lot of the information input that required for an expense, such as account, business purpose, and contacts
- From the Navigation: Mouse-over the Expense link, and click on the Create an Expense option
- From the Expense Section: Click the Expense link, then click the New Expense button
Following any of the above steps will open the Expense View screen.
Step 1 - Expense Details
The first step in creating an expense is to provide the details of the expense. In this step, the following information should be added:
- Date of Expense
- Expense Amount
- Category (drop-down menu selection)
- Business Purpose
- Method (drop-down menu selection)
- Reimbursed (Yes or No drop-down menu)
- Original Receipt (Yes or No drop-down menu)
- Account (pop-up search window, allowing the user to select the appropriate account)
Once information has been added, click on the Yes or No link in the blue bar, indicating whether or not a receipt needs to be uploaded. Clicking Yes will progress to Step 2, while clicking No will progress to Step 3.
Step 2 - Upload Receipt
The second step allows the user to upload a file as a receipt, as well as provide a description of what was purchased. Clicking Choose File will open a window, allowing the user to navigate to and select the appropriate file. Once a receipt has been selected, use the Yes or No links in the blue bar to attach contacts to the expense in Step 3. If No is selected, the user will be moved to the i-COMPLI validation (Step 4), where the expense can then be saved.
Note: Clicking the Attach File button will allow the user to add an additional receipt. If there is only one receipt for the expense, clicking this button is not necessary.
Step 3 - Add Contacts
In the third step, users can associate contacts for the expense. Click the + Add Contact button, and a search window will pop up, allowing the user to add any contact to the expense. However, since the expense should be associated with contacts on the same account as the expense, searching for the account and selecting the appropriate contacts is the suggested method of adding contacts.
Step 4 - i-COMPLI (Stark Allocation)
The last step allows users to appropriately distribute the amount of the expense amongst the associated contacts. This step is usually done automatically, and uses the Contact Type to determine which contacts should have their amounts tracked. If the Contact Type field is blank, or is not eligible for compliance tracking, the contact will not be listed in Step 4.
Tip: If a contact is not showing up in the i-COMPLI step for allocation, check to see if the contact has a Contact Type in Step 3.
Once all of the information for the expense has been properly captured, the record can be saved by clicking the Save button above or below the data entry area of the Expense View. The expense will then show a summary, and a confirmation that the record has been saved.
Clicking the Back to List button above the expense will take the user back to their complete list of expenses. This view is what displays when a user initially clicks on the Expense navigation link.
It should be noted that the Approved column (shown above) will be updated when an administrator or manager approves expenses. The Receipt column will indicate if a receipt has been attached to the expense. If any changes to the expenses need to be made (such as uploading a receipt), users can click the Edit link in the Actions column to make changes to any of the above steps.
Note: By default, most users will not be able to delete expenses and will need to partner with their manager or administrator for assistance.
Similar to the process on the Web, a user can add an expense to an event from their mobile device. There are two ways to start the process:
- From the Event (Recommended): The easiest and most efficient way to start the expense process is from the event itself. To do this, swipe left (from right side of screen to left) across the event. A number of actions will be exposed; select New Expense.
- Add New Expense / Pencil in Top Right Corner: A pencil to indicate "add new" is seen in the top right corner of the mobile app. When selected there are a number of actions available; select New Expense.
Entering expense details is the next and only step on mobile, the following information should be added:
- Account - this will populate with the associated account if started from the event
- Category (radio menu selection)
- Expense Amount
- Original Receipt - will prompt to access your device's camera
- Date of Expense
- Business Purpose
After completing the information, select Save to continue.