Defining the Strategic Market Assessment tabs
The Strategic Market Assessment (SMA) tabs provide an additional way for agencies to examine and better understand a specific territory. SMA tabs pull from the same data set as your Practitioner or Facility tabs. These reports are designed for easy access to a different “slice” of the data, focusing on how one agency compares to the rest of the market versus how a physician compares to the other practitioners in an area.
Note: The Market Intelligence Data used in this program is derived largely from Medicare and is dependent on Medicare’s reporting, which is not up-to-the-minute. SMA tabs are dependent upon the data that has been purchased, so not all tabs displayed above may be available in your environment.
The Year pull-down menu (just below the left side of the tabs) allows you to toggle to a specific year of data you have purchased. By default, the most recent set of data will be displayed.
Defining the columns
The following columns provide demographic and market share data for the agencies:
- Sub Reports: This area provides additional information about the selected territory. Please see the Help Desk article Icon Key for Home Health & Hospice for more information on sub-reports.
- State: These are the states listed in the selected territory
- County: These are the counties listed in each state for the selected territory.
- County State Share: This is the percentage of the overall state market share that the selected county comprises.
- County Agencies: This is the number of agencies present in the selected county.
- Name: This is the name of the top agency in the selected county.
- Agency Patient Count: This is the patient count for the selected agency.
- Agency Share: This is the percentage of the county’s market share that an agency holds.
- Agency Trend: This is a percentage description of how an agency’s market share has fared year over year.
- Year: This is the year that the claims data was adjudicated.
Strategic Market Assessment Frequently Asked Questions
What is the calculation that is being used for the market share information?
The calculation is based on the total count of claims, not patients. Patient count is visible because it does give you more context into the volume, though the market share percentage is based off claims count, which is not seen in the data set directly.
When looking at the SMA reports, is there a percentage or cap on the agencies that display? For example, each report is only pulling 15 agencies when there are more than that.
This view shows the top agency for each county that you’ve purchased. If your organization has paid for access to 15 counties, but the state has 67 counties, only 15 counties will be displayed.
Why are there a different number of agencies on the SMA tab versus the home health/hospice agency tab for the same county?
The home health and/or hospice agency tab will show the agencies that are located in the county. The home health/hospice SMA tab will show the agencies that service that county.
What is the best way to pull market share with an all agency comparison – all agencies that serve that county?
The County sub-report ( ) will display all agencies registered in the county. The Owner sub-report ( ) displays market share by agency owner, which is all the agencies that do business in the county, not just the ones who are registered in said county.
What are the payer percentages for SMA data?
Mostly Medicare, though we do have feeds that include commercial and Medicaid claims. PlayMaker’s Payer Mix module is available for purchase if you’d like to access to more details payer information within the Physicians and Facilities tabs (it is not available in SMA). Please reach out to your Client Success Manager if you’re interested in purchasing our Payer Mix module.
Is there a way to pull reports on competitors and market share by month or quarter?
Not at this time, though it has been submitted as a feature request for future consideration. Reporting is only available on a rolling or historical year basis.